“Market Cap $19.75 B As of May 2014
At a Glance
- Industry: Other Transportation
- Founded: 1967
- Country: Spain
- CEO: Salvador Alemany Mas
- Website: www.abertis.com
- Employees: 17,123
- Sales: $6.18 B
- Headquarters: Barcelona
#616 Global 2000
- #1424 in Sales
- #744 in Profit
- #611 in Assets
- #560 in Market value
Abertis Infraestructuras SA engages in the management of mobility and communications infrastructures. The company operates its business through the four segments: Toll Roads, Telecommunications, Airports and Other. The Toll Roads segment engages in the construction, maintenance and operation of toll roads under concession; management of toll road concessions in Spain and internationally; construction of toll road infrastructure and of activities complementary to toll road construction, maintenance and operation. The Telecommunications segment engages in the infrastructure and communication of network as well as providing, managing, marketing and distributing all types of services based thereon, including establishing and operating fixed and mobile telecommunication networks and providing all type of service over these networks. The Airports segment engages in the construction and management of airports. The Other segment provides services and financing to Group companies. The company was founded on February 24, 1967 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain.“
“Abertis Historical background
Abertis’ origins are to be found in the construction, management and operation of Spain’s first tollroads.
Since its creation, in 2003, abertis has followed a growth and profitability-based strategy which has placed the company at the forefront of infrastructure project management. This is demonstrated by:
· The concessionaire sanef joining the group in 2006.
· The acquisition among 2008 and 2013 of 57.05% of Hispasat maked abertis the major shareholder in the Spanish satellite operator.
· Since 2009, after concluding operations with ACS and Citi, abertis controls avasa in Spain, while in Chile it controls the concessionaires elqui and gesa, as well as a majority holding and control ofrutas del pacífico.
· In 2011, the concession award of PR-22 and PR-5 tollroads in Puerto Rico to the metropistas, a consortium leaded by abertis.
· In 2012, the world leadership in the toll road sector following the integration of the arterisGroup’s tollroads, as well of three extra concessions in Chile, acquired to the OHL group. “
*Information from Forbes.com and Abertis.com
**Video published on YouTube by “AbertisGroup“