“Alfa Romeo History
“The legend started in 1910, when Cavalier Ugo Stella acquired the shares of Società Italiana Automobili Darraq, the Italian plant of a French car maker. The first plant was at number 95 Strada del Portello in the north-west outskirts of Milan and the company was called “Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili” (Lombard Automobile Factory, Public Company), hence the acronym A.L.F.A. The first car – the 24 HP – was made the same year. Designed by Giuseppe Merosi with 4 cylinders of 4 litres, it reached a top speed of 100 Km/h. The first Alfa Romeo badge consisted of two symbols of the city of Milan – the serpent of the Visconti family coat of arms on a blue background and the red cross of the city banner on a white background – all enclosed in a metallic ring with the words “ALFA” and “MILANO” separated by two Savoy knots.
100 years of passion
On 24 June 2010, Alfa Romeo was 100 years old. Milan celebrated the occasion by transforming itself into a theatre for an immense city-wide event that took place its in squares, parks, exhibitions and even the ring roads for a symbolic embrace to Alfa Romeo. The event began on 24 June in Arese, with a toast to celebrate 100 years of the brand, and drew to a close in Milan on Sunday 27 June.
The heart of the celebrations was the event at the Fiera di Milano on 26 June, which was attended by more than 5000 Alfisti (80% approximately from abroad) and 3000 Alfa Romeo cars. The trade fair pavilions hosted a lunch while the concourse in front of the Southgate was given over to the unveiling of a sculpture by the artist Bonalumi, inspired by the Alfa 1900 Disco Volante, commissioned by the RIAR and funded with contributions from Club members. The participants were able to get to know one another and share their passion for Alfa Romeo, showing off their much-loved cars and visiting the historical exhibition “Fiera Milano e Alfa Romeo: frammenti d’insieme”, before driving off in a convoy towards the city centre.
Processions and symbolic embraces
The thousands of teams who brought models of all types to Milan, including Alfa cars from the mid-20th century sports cars of the 1960s, racing models and the best-loved road models then drove in a procession to the centre of Milan to their destination, Castello Sforzesco, where the most significant cars in the Brand’s 100 year history took part in an exhibition parade, transforming the square into nothing less than an open-air museum The day ended in Piazza degli Affari with a stage and events organised by the radio broadcaster RTL. Sunday 27 June, on the other hand, was the day of final greeting, sealed by an embrace of the ring road marked by the 3000 Alfa Romeo flags that each car carried stuck on its roof, creating an evocative sight.”
**Video published on YouTube by “Alfa Romeo“