“Market Cap $16.14 B As of May 2014
At a Glance
- Industry: Pharmaceuticals
- Founded: 1921
- Country: Japan
- CEO: Tatsuo Higuchi
- Website: www.otsuka.com
- Employees: 25,330
- Sales: $14.37 B
- Headquarters: Tokyo
#527 Global 2000
- #668 in Sales
- #371 in Profit
- #1141 in Assets
- #698 in Market value
Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. is engaged in the manufacture and sale of pharmaceuticals and nutritional supplements. It operates through the following segments: Pharmaceuticals, Nutraceuticals, Consumer Products, and Others. The Pharmaceuticals segment manufactures therapeutic drugs and infusions focusing on the central nervous system, oncology, and infectious diseases. The Nutraceuticals segment develops and markets nutrition products such as nutritional food, quasi-drugs, health drinks, and dietary supplements for homes, medical facilities, and nursing care units. The Consumer Products segment sells mineral water, food, and beverages. Its products include Bon Curry, Mannan Hikari, and ReSOLA. The Others segment distributes functional and fine chemicals, optical inspection devices, and clinical diagnosis equipment. The company was founded on July 8, 2008 and is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.“
“Otsuka Holding History
- 1921 –
- Busaburo Otsuka establishes Otsuka Pharmaceutical
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical renamed Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory.
- Organic Chemicals Division splits off from Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory to form Otsuka Chemical and Medical Products, Inc.
- 1961 –
- Transport and warehousing division splits off from Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory to become Otsuka Warehouse Co., Ltd.
- Taiho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. established.
- Separation of sales divisions of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory (excluding four prefectures in Shikoku region) and establishment of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory becomes Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc.
- Establishment of Thai Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and Palo Alto office in the U.S.
- Offices established in Spain and Italy.
- China Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. established.
- Otsuka Chemical and Medical Products, Inc changes name to become Otsuka Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Opening of Otsuka Museum of Art.
- 2001 –
- July 8, 2008
- Establishment of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd..
- July 8, 2008
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. becomes a fully owned subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings.
- October 1, 2008
- Otsuka Warehouse Co., Ltd. becomes a fully owned subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings.
- October 31, 2008
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc. becomes a fully owned subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings.
- January 1, 2009
- Taiho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. becomes a fully owned subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings.
- July 1, 2009
- Otsuka Chemical Co., Ltd. becomes a fully owned subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings.”
*Information from Forbes.com and Otsuka.com
**Video published on YouTube by “sidel“