“Revenue $3 B As of November 2012
At a Glance
- Industry: Health Care Equipment & Svcs
- Founded: 1982
- Country: United States
- CEO: Tom Pike
- CFO: Kevin Gordon Gordon
- Website: www.quintiles.com
- Employees: 27,000
- Fiscal Year End: Dec 30, 2011
- Sales: $3 B 2
- Headquarters: Durham, NC
#151 America’s Largest Private Companies
Quintiles Transnational is the largest pharmaceutical outsourcing services company in the U.S. With offices in 60 countries, Quintiles provides product development, financial assistance and commercial services to assist pharmaceutical companies in their clinical trials. Founder Dennis Gillings stepped down as CEO in 2012 but remains executive chairman of the company’s board of directors.”
Quintiles was founded in 1982 by Dennis Gillings, Ph.D., CBE, then a professor of biostatistics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- 1974: Dennis Gillings signs first contract to provide statistical and data management consulting for pharmaceutical clients.
- 1982: Quintiles, Inc., is incorporated in North Carolina.
- 1990: Quintiles Pacific Inc. and Quintiles Ireland Ltd. established
- 1991: Quintiles GMBH established in Germany; Quintiles Laboratories Ltd. established in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1996: Quintiles buys Innovex Ltd. and BRI International Inc., becoming the world’s largest CRO
- 1997: Quintiles goes public, completing successful secondary stock offering.
- 1998: Quintiles is the first company in industry to break the $1 billion mark, when it reports net revenues of $1.19 billion.
- 1999: Company joins the S&P 500 Index.
- 2003: Board of Directors agrees to merge with Pharma Services Holdings Inc; Quintiles becomes a private company.
- 2009: Quintiles opens new corporate headquarters in Durham, North Carolina
- 2010: Quintiles opens new European headquarters in the UK and establishes operations in East Africa.
- 2011: Quintiles buys Advion Biosciences, a bioanalytical lab based out of Ithaca, New York
- 2013: Quintiles files for an IPO on 15 February in order to go public again
- 2013: Quintiles begins trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under ticker symbol Q.”
*Information from Forbes.com and Wikipedia.org
**Video published on YouTube by “IQVIA“