WEC Energy Group, Inc. history, profile and corporate video
WEC Energy Group, Inc. is an American electric generation and distribution and natural gas delivery holding company headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S. It was formed in 2015 but has predecessor companies that carry over a century of history.
In 1896, The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Co. was formed to provide electric, steam, and interurban rail service.
In 1938, the company changed its name to Wisconsin Electric Power Co.
In 1941, Wisconsin Electric purchased Wisconsin Gas & Electric and Wisconsin Michigan Power Co. from the North American Co.
In 1987, Wisconsin Electric has been restructured, establishing Wisconsin Energy Corporation as a holding company for several new subsidiaries including Wisconsin Electric, Wispark, Wisvest and Witech.
In 1994, Wisconsin Energy bought Lake Geneva-based Wisconsin Southern Gas Co. and merges it into Wisconsin Natural.
In 1996, Wisconsin Natural merged with Wisconsin Electric.
In 1998, Wisconsin Energy bought ESELCO, the parent company of Edison Sault Electric.
In 2000, WICOR, a Milwaukee-based holding company of Wisconsin Gas, becomes part of Wisconsin Energy, creating the largest electric and natural gas provider in Wisconsin.
In 2002, Wisconsin Electric-Wisconsin Gas changed its name to We Energies.
In 2010, Edison Sault Electric Company was sold to Cloverland Electric Cooperative of Dafter, Michigan.
In 2015, Wisconsin Energy acquired Integrys Energy Group, forming WEC Energy Group.
In 2017, Bluewater Gas Storage was acquired to provide about one-third of the storage needs for WEC Energy Group’s natural gas distribution companies in Wisconsin.
Principal energy companies of the group:
- We Energies delivers electricity and natural gas in Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Public Service delivers electricity and natural gas in Wisconsin.
- Peoples Gas delivers natural gas in the city of Chicago.
- North Shore Gas delivers natural gas to customers in Chicago’s northern suburbs.
- Minnesota Energy Resources delivers natural gas in Minnesota.
- Michigan Gas Utilities delivers natural gas in Michigan.
- Upper Michigan Energy Resources delivers electricity and natural gas in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
- Bluewater Gas Storage provides natural gas storage and hub services to customers of We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service.
- W.E. Power, LLC – designs, builds, and owns modern, efficient power plants that are leased to We Energies.
- WEC Infrastructure LLC – holds ownership interests in wind generating facilities that have long-term energy offtake agreements.
- Wispark – develops high-quality, complex real estate projects.
With more than 8 000 employees, WEC Energy Group Inc. is a Fortune 500 company that provides provide energy services to more than 4.5 million customers in Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota. It is considered one of the nation’s largest electric generation and distribution and natural gas delivery holding companies. According to Forbes, it is considered one of the top 2000 largest public companies in the world.
*Information from Forbes.com, Wikipedia.org, and www.wecenergygroup.com.
**Video published on YouTube by “WEC Energy Group“.