Bilfinger SE history, profile and corporate video
Bilfinger SE is engaged in the provision of civil and industrial construction, engineering and related services. It operates through the following segments: Industrial, Power, Building and Facility, Construction, and Concessions. The Industrial segment provides services for the construction, maintenance and modernization of plants. The Power segment handles the maintenance, repair, efficiency enhancements, and lifetime extensions as well as the manufacture and assembly of components for fossil fuel and nuclear power plants. The Building and Facility segment includes technical, commercial, and infrastructural real estate services, as well as design, building construction, maintenance and operation of buildings. The Construction segment focuses on civil engineering services. The Concessions segment operates transport and social infrastructure projects. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Mannheim, Germany.“
From construction company to engineering and services group
Three traditional construction companies form the historical roots of Bilfinger SE: Grün & Bilfinger AG, Julius Berger Tiefbau AG and Berlinische Boden-Gesellschaft. In 1880, master builder August Bernatz completed his first major project in what was then the German province of Lorraine. In 1883, the builder settled in Mannheim and Grün & Bilfinger AG evolved from his company. Julius Berger Tiefbau AG and Berlinische Boden-Gesellschaft, were both founded in 1890.
The Dresdner Bank held a significant stake in each of the three companies. Under the aegis of Jürgen Ponto, later the Spokesman of the Bank’s Executive Board, the plan evolved in the 1960s to build a large, internationally competitive construction company. The first step was the merger in 1969 of Julius Berger AG with Bauboag, the successor of Berlinische Boden-Gesellschaft. Grün & Bilfinger AG acquired a majority stake in this company in 1970 and in 1975 the two companies were merged to form Bilfinger + Berger Bauaktiengesellschaft.
Due to changed market conditions, a new strategic course was introduced for the company at the start of the 21st century when it became the Multi Service Group. In 2001 it was renamed Bilfinger Berger AG and, in the years that followed, a series of strong companies in the industrial, power plant, and real-estate service sectors were acquired. At the same time, activities in the construction area underwent a targeted reduction. Bilfinger Berger developed from a construction company to an international engineering and services group After the transformation into a stock company in accordance with European law (SE) in 2010, the company was renamed Bilfinger SE in 2012.”
*Information from Forbes.com and www.bilfinger.com
**Video published on YouTube by “Bilfinger“