First Quantum Minerals Ltd. history, profile and corporate video
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is a mining and metals company, which engages in the production of copper, gold, and acid and related activities including mineral exploration, development, and processing. Its primary products are Gold, Copper and Nickel. The company operates its business through the Individual Mine Development Projects or Operations and Corporate segments. The Individual Mine Development Projects or Operations segment includes Kansanshi, Guelb Moghrein, Frontier, Bwana/Lonshi, Kevitsa, Ravensthorpe, and Sentinel. The Corporate segment is responsible for the evaluation and acquisition of new mineral properties, regulatory reporting, treasury, and finance and corporate administration. First Quantum Minerals was founded by Geoffrey Clive Newall and Martin R. Rowley on December 21, 1983 and is headquartered in Vancouver, Canada.“
“First Quantum Minerals History
- March 2013 Acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based global mining company that produces copper and zinc.
- August 2012 Achieved commercial operation at the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE mine.
- December 2011 Achieved commercial operation at the Ravensthorpe nickel operation.
- August 2011 Implemented a five-for-one stock split.
- December 2010 Acquired Antares Minerals, which held the 100%-owned Haquira copper project in southern Peru.
- August 2010 Shut down operations at the Frontier mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo (“DRC”);initiated international arbitration proceedings against the government of the DRC.
- February 2010 Acquired the Ravensthorpe nickel project, Australia.
- February 2010 Increased ownership of the Guelb Moghrein copper-gold operation, Mauritania to 100%.
- January 2010 Acquired Kiwara PLC which owned a controlling interest in mineral prospecting licenses on the periphery of the Kabombo Dome in the North Western Province, Zambia. Renamed the Trident project which comprises the Sentinel deposit and the Enterprise and Intrepid targets.
- November 2009 Began development of the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE project, Finland.
- September 2009 Suspended construction of the Kolwezi copper-cobalt project, DRC; initiated international arbitration proceedings against the government of the DRC.
- August 2008 Curtailed open pit mining operations at the Lonshi copper mine in the DRC, due to the exhaustion of its oxide reserves.
- June 2008 Acquired Scandinavian Minerals Limited which owned the Kevitsa project.
- November 2007 Reached commercial production at the Frontier mine.
- October 2006 Reached commercial production at the Guelb Moghrein mine.
- May 2006 Acquired Adastra Minerals Inc which owned the Kolwezi project.
- April 2005 Reached commercial production at the Kansanshi copper-gold mine, Zambia.
- December 2004 Discovered the Fishtie copper deposit, Zambia.
- July 2004 Acquired an 80% interest in the Guelb Moghrein deposit.
- May 2004 Discovered the Frontier deposit.
- August 2001 Acquired an 80% interest in the Kansanshi mine.
- August 2001 Began operations at the Lonshi mine.
- 2000 Discovered the Lonshi copper deposit, DRC.
- April 2000 Acquired, with Glencore, a 90% interest in Mopani Copper Mines, Zambia. Mopani’s main assets are the Mufulira Division and the Nkana mine, concentrator and cobalt plant. The Company currently holds a 16.9% in Mopani Copper Mines.
- March 1998 Completed construction of the Bwana copper cathode SX/EW tailings re-treatment and sulphuric acid plant, Zambia.
- November 1996 Acquired the Bwana facility, Zambia.
*Information from Forbes.com and First-quantum.com
**Video published on YouTube by “FirstQuantumMinerals“