“Market Cap $24.95 B As of May 2014
At a Glance
- Industry: Semiconductors
- Founded: 1949
- Country: South Korea
- CEO: Seong-wook Park
- Website: www.hynix.co.kr
- Employees: 20,628
- Sales: $12.94 B
- Headquarters: Incheon-si
#439 Global 2000
- #751 in Sales
- #246 in Profit
- #1053 in Assets
- #445 in Market value
SK Hynix, Inc. engages in the manufacturing of diodes, transistors and similar semi-conductor devices. It operates through the following businesses: Computing Memory, Consumer Memory, Graphics Memory, Mobile Memory, NAND Flash, CMOS Image Sensor, EOL Products and Technical Support. The company was founded on October 1, 1949 and is headquartered in Incheon, South Korea.“
“SK Hynix History
- 1949 Originally incorporated under the laws of the Republic of Korea
- 1983 Founded as Hyundai Electronics Industries Co., Ltd. (The name Hynix comes from Hy in Hyundai and nix [from nics in Electronics])
- 1985 Started mass production of 256K DRAM
- 1993 Took over Maxtor (US HDD main factory)
- 1996 Initial public offering on the Korea Stock Exchange
- 1999 Merged with LG Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
- 2000 Spun off Hyundai Image Quest, Hyundai Autonet and Hyundai Calibration & Certification Technologies
- 2001 Changed the company name to Hynix Semiconductor Inc.; spun off Hyundai Syscomm, Hyundai CuriTel, and Hyundai Networks; completed spin-off from Hyundai Group
- 2002 Sold HYDIS, TFT-LCD Business Unit
- 2004 Signed System IC Business Transfer Agreement with System Semiconductor
- 2005 Emerged from Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act ahead of schedule
- 2006 Posted record the highest revenues since foundation
Established global manufacturing network with complete construction of Hynix-ST Semiconductor Inc.
Hynix’s wholly owned manufacturing subsidiary in China
- 2007 Appointed Jong-Kap Kim as the new chairman & CEO
- 2009 Company put up for sale by its lenders after it defaulted on loans and a subsequent debt-equity swap
- 2010 Fine of €51.47 million for illegally fixing prices with eight other memory chip makers.
In January 2010, Hynix Semiconductor Inc was put up for sale in an auction valued at close to $3 billion.
On 31 August 2010, HP announced collaboration with Hynix to bring memristor to high volume manufacturing step (targeted for 2013).
- 2012 SK Group, the third-largest conglomerate in South Korea, acquired a 21.05% stake in Hynix.
- 2013 Fab 1 and Fab 2 in China both suffered a massive fire which took the factories offline temporarily.”
*Information from Forbes.com and Wikipedia.org
**Video published on YouTube by “SKhynixTV“