Tosoh Corp. history, profile and corporate video
Tosoh Corp. engages in the manufacture and sale of chemicals. It operates through the following segments: Petrochemicals, Chlor-alkali, Specialty, Engineering, and Other. The Petrochemical segment offers olefins and polymers. The Chlor-alkali provides caustic soda, vinyl chloride monomer, polyvinyl chloride, high-performance polyurethane, and cement. The Specialty segment handles fine chemicals, scientific and diagnostic instruments and systems, quartz, specialty materials and metals. The Engineering segment deals with water treatment equipment and construction. The Other segment manages service-related businesses such as transportation and warehousing. The company was founded on February 11, 1935 and is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.”
- Founding of Toyo Soda Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Opening of New York office (forerunner of Tosoh USA, Inc., established in 1979)
- Shin-Daikyowa Co., Ltd. established
- Operation of Yokkaichi Manufacturing Complex begins
- Tekkosha Co., Ltd. merged into Toyo Soda Manufacturing
- Electrolytic manganese dioxide production begins in Greece at Tosoh Hellas A.I.C. (formerly Tekkosha Hella A.B.E.)
- PVC production in Indonesia begins (P.T. Standard Toyo Polymer)
- Founding of Amto International trading company in Amsterdam (later became Tosoh Europe B.V. in 1987)
- Ethyleneamine production in the Netherlands (Delamine B.V.) begins
- Shin-Daikyowa merges with Chubu Chemical Co., and acquires styrene monomer
- Tosoh USA, Inc. established
- Tohoku Tosoh Chemical Co., Ltd. established
- Tosh Electronics Co., Ltd. established, sputtered hard disk production begins
- Tosoh Susteel (PPS) production begins
- Company name changed to Tosoh Corporation
- U.S. joint venture firm TosoHaas established for sale of chromatography materials
- Aspartame plant in the Netherlands (Holland Sweetener Company) completed
- Acquisition of Specialty Metals Division of Varian Associates now Tosoh SMD, Inc.
- Tosoh acquires equity interest in Industrial Resins (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- Founding of Tosoh America, Inc.
- Establishment of Tosoh Medics, Inc.
- Ownership of NSG USA, Inc. transferred to Tosoh
- Equity participation in Weiss Scientific Glass Blowing Co., Inc.
- Tosoh/Shin-Daikyowa merger
- Tosoh Belgium established
- Equity participation in Eurogenetics
- Establishment of Nippon Silica Glass Europe
- Equity participation in General Chemical (Soda Ash) Partners
- Tosoh SMD completed a new focused factory
- Holland Sweetener Company quadruples capacity of aspartame plant
- Acquisition of outstanding equity in Eurogenetics N.V., now Tosoh Europe N.V.
- Establishment of Philippine Resins Industries, Inc., a joint venture company of
Tosoh, Mitsubishi Corporation, Bank of the Philippine Islands and Mabuhay
- Tosoh SMD Korea, Ltd. established
- P.T. Satomo Indovyl Polymer established
- Acquisition of Cryco Quartz, Inc. and Cryco Twenty-Two, Inc.
- Tosoh SMD Singapore Pte. Ltd. established
- Equity participation in Taiyo Vinyl Corporation
- Completion of Tosoh’s second VCM plant
- Opening of NSG Europe’s factory in England
- Establishment of Tosoh SMD Taiwan, Ltd.
- Establishment of Tosoh Asia Pte. Ltd.
- Tosoh America relocates to Ohio, USA
- 100% interest in Nippon Silica Glass Co., Ltd., now Tosoh Quartz Corporation
- 100% interest in Tosoh Akzo, now Tosoh Finechem Corporation
- Remaining 50% from Rohm and Hass in TosoHaas, now wholly owned Tosoh Bioscience LLC
- Tosoh SET, Inc.
- Acquired remaining 50% stake in F-Tech, now Tosoh F-Tech, Inc.
- Tosoh Quartz Group opens processing plant in Taiwan
- Tosoh & Hodogaya Chemical Acquire 100% interest in Nippon Polyurethane Industry Co., Ltd.
- Tosoh subsidiary acquires PVC business from Kureha Chemical
- Invests JPY 2.5 billion in new TBA plant and infrastructure
- Trading company in China established (Tosoh Shanghai Trading)
- All bioscience companies worldwide are united under the new brand, Tosoh Bioscience
- Nippon Silica Industrial becomes wholly owned subsidiary
- Investment in China makes Tosoh the largest VCM player in Asia (JPY47 billion investment in multinational integrated operations)
- Tosoh Corporation announces that it will raise its stake in Nippon Polyurethane Industry Co. Ltd. (NPU) to 51%, as part of a billion dollar investment to strengthen Tosoh’s vinyl-isocyanate infrastructure and establish a more competitive presence in the rapidly expanding polyurethane industry of Asia and especially China
- Production initiated at Tosoh (Guangzhou) Chemical Industries, Inc., Tosoh’s vinyl chloride resin manufacturing and sales company in Guangzhou, China (220,000 tons per year)
- Tosoh Group crosses the USD 8 billion mark with sales of JPY 827 billion for Fiscal 2007
- Tosoh celebrates its 75th year in business with the opening of five new plants and continued rapid expansion in China
- Tosoh Bioscience Shanghai Co., Ltd. established
- Environment oriented Engineering Group established
- Tosoh SMD Shanghai Co., Ltd. established
- Tosoh SGM USA, Inc. merger with Tosoh USA, Inc.
- Acquired 100% ownership of Nippon Polyurethane Industry Co., Ltd.”
*Information from Forbes.com and Tosoh.co.jp
**Video published on YouTube by “ Tosoh Corporation“