TUI AG history, profile and corporate video
TUI AG is a tour and travel company, which is engaged in the provision of tour, hotel and resort, and cruise services. The company operates through the following segments TUI Travel, TUI Hotels & Resorts, and Cruises. The TUI Travel segment is divided into three sectors: Mainstream, Accommodation & Destinations and Specialist & Activity. It offers a range of products from package tours to products such as yacht chartering, expeditions and student trips. The TUI Hotels & Resorts segment consists of all hotel companies of the group outside the TUI Travel Group. The Cruises segment comprises the cruise activities of Hapag-Lloyd Cruises and TUI Cruises. TUI was founded in 1923 and is headquartered in Hannover, Germany.“
- 1968 creation of TUI (Touristik Union International) an association of the medium-sized companies Touropa, Scharnow-Reisen, Hummel Reise and Dr. Tigges-Fahrten.
- 1970 airtours international and TransEuropa integrate to TUI; Creation of ROBINSON Club (with the group Steigenberger)
- from 1972 participation to different hotel brands (et al. Iberotel 1972, RIU 1977, Grecotels 1981)
- 1990 the name of the main tour operator is “TUI Schöne Ferien”
- 1995 Creation of TUI Nederland and TUI Austria
- 1996 Creation of TUI Suisse
- 1996 Creation of TUI Belgium
- 1998 Acquisition of the group Preussag/Hapag-Lloyd and rename to Hapag Touristik Union (HTU)
- 2000 HTU was renamed to TUI Group
- 2001 TUI Group is now 100% subsidiary of Preussag AG
- 2002 Rename of Preussag AG to TUI AG
- from 2002 reorganisation from a mixed company to tourism company.
- 2004 The bank WestLB sell their participation (31,4%) from the TUI AG. New shareholders are Spanish investors (Family Riu, Grupo de Empresas Matutes, Caja de Ahorros del Mediterraneo).
- 2005 TUI sells subsidiary VTG AG to Compagnie Européenne de Wagons.
- 2005 The shipping activities are grouped under the Hapag-Lloyd. With the acquisition of CP Ships it becomes the fourth largest worldwidecontainer shipping company.
- 7 April 2005, was a historic day for the Indian Travel and Tourism industry when a joint venture was signed between the world’s largest travel group, TUI AG and LPTI.
- 2006 TUI AG sells business travel subsidiary TQ3 to BCD Holdings N.V.
- 2007 TUI AG tourism division merges with First Choice Holidays PLC to form TUI Travel PLC
- 2014 Tui AG announces it will absorb Tui Travel in a full-scale merger”
*Information from Forbes.com and Wikipedia.org
**Video published on YouTube by “TUI Group Corporate“