Meta Platforms, Inc. history, profile and corporate video
Meta Platforms, Inc., known as Meta and formerly known as Facebook, Inc., is a multinational technology conglomerate headquartered in California, United States.
The word “meta” comes from the Greek word meaning “beyond”, and for the company’s founder, Mark Zuckerberg, it symbolizes that “there is always more to build, and there is always a next chapter to the story”.
Meta focuses on bringing the “metaverse” to life and helping people connect, find communities and grow businesses.
The “metaverse” is a set of virtual spaces where people can create and explore with other people who aren’t in the same physical space as them. In the metaverse, people will be able to get together with friends and family, work, learn, play, exercise, shop, create, and more.
- Facebook – is an online social media and social networking service that connects people with friends, family and groups;
- Instagram – is a photo and video-sharing social networking service that allows people to express themself and be closer to the people and things they love;
- Messenger – is an instant messaging app and platform that allows people to share content and experiences in the moment together;
- WhatsApp – is an instant messaging and voice-over-IP (VoIP) service used by people to stay in touch with other people, effortlessly and privately;
- Novi – send and receive money internationally;
- Workplace – is a communication tool that connects everyone in a company, even if they’re working remotely. It uses familiar features like Groups, Chat and Live video broadcasting to get people talking and working together;
- Meta Quest – allows people to experience VR worlds together with friends and family on Meta’s Quest headsets.
- Meta Portal – Meta’s Portal family of video-calling devices makes it easier for people to feel connected with friends and family even when they are miles apart.
- Meta Spark – allows to create and share AR experiences for coding novices or seasoned pros;
- Meta Horizon – allows people to explore, create and share experiences with others in the same virtual 3D space;
- Meta Business Suite – tools, resources and insights for businesses.
In 2004, Mark Zuckerberg and co-founders Dustin Moskovitz, Chris Hughes and Eduardo Saverin launched Facebook.
In 2005, thefacebook.com officially dropped the “the” and became Facebook.
In 2008, the Facebook Chat was launched.
In 2009, the Like button was introduced.
In 2010, Facebook launched Facebook Places.
In 2011, Messenger was introduced.
In April 2012, the Instagram acquisition was announced.
In May 2012, Facebook held its initial public offering.
In February 2014, the WhatsApp acquisition was announced.
In March 2014, Facebook announced the acquisition of Oculus VR, which released its first consumer virtual reality headset in 2016.
In 2015, Facebook Live was introduced.
In May 2016, WhatsApp’s desktop app was introduced.
In August 2016, Instagram Stories was launched.
In October 2016, Facebook Marketplace was introduced. Workplace was also introduced.
In November 2016, WhatsApp introduced video calling.
In 2017, Facebook Watch was introduced.
In January 2018, WhatsApp Business App was introduced.
In June 2018, Instagram introduced Video Chat and new camera effects for Stories.
In October 2018, Portal and Portal+ were introduced.
In March 2019, Checkout was introduced on Instagram.
In November 2019, Facebook Pay was launched.
In May 2020, Facebook Shops was introduced and Novi was announced.
In June 2020, WhatsApp launched payments.
In August 2020, Instagram Reels was launched.
In August 2021, Horizon Workrooms was introduced.
In September 2021, the XR Programs and Research Fund was introduced to help build the metaverse.
In October 2021, Meta, the new company brand, was introduced.
With more than 71,000 employees, Meta Platforms, Inc. is considered one of the world’s most valuable companies and one of America’s largest information technology companies. According to Forbes, it is considered one of the Largest Public Companies in the World.
*Information from Forbes.com, Wikipedia.org, and about.facebook.com.
**Video published on YouTube by “Meta“.
***Video published on YouTube by “Companies History“.