CK Hutchison Holdings Limited history, profile and corporate video
CK Hutchison Holdings Limited is a multinational conglomerate (a multi-industry company) headquartered in Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong.
CK Hutchison Holdings Limited was formed in 2015 when Cheung Kong and Hutchison Whampoa completed the reorganization and merger of their businesses. After this reorganization, CK Hutchison Holdings Limited held the non-property businesses of both groups, while the property businesses were held by the other newly created company, Cheung Kong Property Holdings Limited (now known as CK Asset Holdings Limited).
Cheung Kong Holdings
Cheung Kong’s origins date back to 1950 when Li Ka-shing founded Cheung Kong Industries. The company eventually evolved into a property investment company, and in 1972 Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited was listed on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong.
Hutchison Whampoa was established as a result of a merger between Hutchison International Limited and Hongkong and Whampoa Dock Company Limited.
Hutchison International Limited’s origins date back to 1877 when John Duflon Hutchison joined Hong Kong’s small community of expatriate merchants in the employment of Robert Walker and Company. Before long, Hutchison took over the company, thus forming John D Hutchison and Company Ltd. and the early roots of the Hutchison names were formed.
Hongkong and Whampoa Dock Company (HWD) was established in 1863 to acquire docks and repair yards at Whampoa, on the Pearl River in China, and at the then newly constructed dry docks at Aberdeen on Hong Kong Island.
CK Hutchison Holdings operates through the following business segments:
Ports and Related Services
- Hutchison Port Holdings Limited (Hutchison Ports) – is one of the world’s leading container terminal operators and one of the world’s leading companies in port services.
- A.S. Watson Group – one of the world’s largest international health and beauty retailers.
ASW’s portfolio comprises some of Asia’s top retail brands, including Watsons (health & beauty specialist), PARKnSHOP (supermarket), FORTRESS (electrical appliances chain), and Watson’s Wine. ASW is also a manufacturer and distributor of water products and beverages, with Watsons Water and Mr. Juicy being the flagship brands.
In Europe, ASW operates a number of health & beauty retail brands, including Kruidvat, Superdrug, Rossmann, Savers, Trekpleister, Drogas and Watsons. In addition, it also owns the luxury perfumeries and cosmetics retail brands ICI PARIS XL and The Perfume Shop.
The Infrastructure segment involves a diverse portfolio of investments in energy infrastructure, transportation infrastructure, water infrastructure, waste management, energy-from-waste, household infrastructure, and infrastructure-related businesses.
- CK Infrastructure Holdings Limited
- Australian Gas Networks Limited
- Dutch Enviro Energy Holdings B.V.
- Northumbrian Water Group Limited
- Park’N Fly
- UK Rails S.à r.l.
- Wales & West Gas Networks (Holdings) Limited
CK Hutchison is one of the leading global operators of mobile telecommunications and data services. It was also among the world’s first mobile broadband operators.
- CK Hutchison Group Telecom
- Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings Limited
Finance & Investments and Others.
- Hutchison Whampoa (China) Limited – an investment company engaged in a number of ventures;
- HUTCHMED (China) Limited (HUTCHMED) – a biopharmaceutical company;
- CK Life Sciences Int’l. (Holdings) Inc. – engages in research and development, manufacturing, commercialization, marketing, sale of, and investment in nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals and agriculture-related products and assets;
- TOM Group Limited – a technology and media company;
- Hutchison Water – focuses on water and Cleantech technologies and solutions as well as on digital health devices and applications;
- Marionnaud – one of Europe’s largest perfumeries & cosmetics retailers;
- Cenovus Energy.
With more than 300,000 employees in over 50 countries across the world, CK Hutchison Holdings Limited is considered one of the Largest Public Companies in the World, according to Forbes.
*Information from Forbes.com, Wikipedia.org, and ”www.ckh.com.hk/en/”.
**Video published on YouTube by “Pericles’ Art“.