Kirin Holdings Company Limited history, profile and history video
Kirin Holdings Company Limited is a Japanese beverages company headquartered in Nakano-ku, Tokyo, Japan. It became the holding company of the Kirin Group on July 1, 2007, when Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd. changed its name to Kirin Holdings Co., Ltd.
Kirin Brewery was established in 1907, taking over the business of Japan Brewery Company, which had been founded in 1885. Japan Brewery introduces German-style lager beer under the brand name Kirin Beer in 1888.
In 1928, Kirin Lemon, a lemon-flavored carbonated drink, was introduced.
In 1963, Vending Machine Services Co., Ltd. (the forerunner of Kirin Beverage Co., Ltd.) was established.
In 1972, Kirin-Seagram Co., Ltd. (the forerunner of Kirin Distillery Co., Ltd.) was established.
In 1976, Koiwai Dairy Products Co., Ltd. was established.
In 1977, KW Inc. (the forerunner of Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England, Inc.) was established.
In 1983, Kirin City Co., Ltd. was established.
In 1984, Kirin-Amgen, a joint venture company established by Kirin and Amgen, Inc., a U.S. biotech company, starts mass-production of erythropoietin (EPO). The joint venture was dissolved in 2017.
In 1988, Kirin Engineering Co., Ltd. was spun off from the Engineering Business Division of Kirin Brewery.
In 1998, the company acquired a stake in Lion Nathan Limited(the forerunner of Lion Pty Limited) in New Zealand.
In 2002, the company acquired the business rights to Four Roses bourbon. It also acquired a stake in San Miguel Corp. in the Philippines.
In 2006, Mercian Corporation became a consolidated subsidiary.
In 2007, Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd. changed its name to Kirin Holdings Co., Ltd. and became a holding company of the Kirin Group.
In 2008, the biochemical business of Kyowa Hakko Kogyo was spun off as Kyowa Hakko Bio Co., Ltd. Also that year, Kyowa Hakko Kirin Co., Ltd.(the forerunner of Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd.) was established.
In 2011, Schincariol Participações e Representações S.A.( later changed to Brasil Kirin) became a wholly owned subsidiary.
In 2019, the company made a capital and business alliance with FANCL Corporation.
- Kirin Brewery Company, Limited – Manufacture and sales of alcohol beverages.
- Kirin Beverage Company, Limited – Development, manufacture and sales of soft drinks.
- Mercian Corporation – Production and retail of wine and other alcoholic beverages.
- Kirin City Co., Ltd. – Management and operation of nationwide chain of Kirin City beer pubs.
- Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd. – Manufacture and sales of pharmaceuticals.
- Kyowa Hakko Bio Co., Ltd. – Manufacture and sales of Amino Acids and nucleic acids for pharmaceutical and industrial use bulk pharmaceuticals.
- Koiwai Dairy Products Company, Limited – Manufacture and sales of dairy products, margarine, jams, honey.
- Kirin and Communications Company, Limited – Public relations for the Kirin Group focusing on customer services in factories and theme parks.
- Kirin Engineering Company, Limited – Providing plant engineering services in the alcoholic beverages, non-alcoholic beverages, food and pharmaceutical fields.
- Kirin Group Logistics Company, Limited – a general logistics company.
- Kirin Techno-System Company, Limited – Comprehensive manufacturer of inspection machines
- Kirin Business Expert Company, Limited – Shared services such as accounting, human resources and real estate of the Kirin Group.
- Kirin Business System Company, Limited – Internal information system development.
- Kirin Echo Company, Limited – Sales of feed. Insurance agency.
- INHOP Inc. – Sales of the supplements containing an ingredient from hop.
- LeapsIn Inc. – Provision of the service “LeapsIn” finding and connecting the food manufacturers.
- YO-HO BREWING COMPANY – Manufacture and sales of craft beer.
- FANCL CORPORATION – Research, development, manufacture, and sale of cosmetics and health foods.
- The KIRIN Welfare Foundation – Supporting the activities of “family caregivers,” “persons with disabilities,” and “volunteers” who support local communities.
Asia / Oceania
- Lion Pty Limited – A holding company that owns and manages Kirin Group’s operating companies in Oceania.
- Myanmar Brewery Limited – Manufacture and sales of beer in Myanmar.
- Mandalay Brewery Limited – Manufacture and sales of beer in Myanmar.
- Interfood Shareholding Company – Manufacture and sales of Food and Beverage in Vietnam.
- San Miguel Brewery Inc. – Manufacture and sales of beer in the Philippines.
- Kirin Holdings Singapore Pte, Limited – To plan and execute a comprehensive beverage strategy in South East Asia.
- China Resources Kirin Beverages (Greater China) Company, Limited – Manufacture and sales of soft drinks.
- Kirin Europe GmbH(Germany) – Manufacture and sales of KIRIN beer in Europe
United States of America
- Coca-Cola Beverages Northeast, Inc. – Manufacture and sales of Coca-Cola products and other soft drinks in seven states in New England, the United States.
- Four Roses Distillery, LLC – Manufacture of Four Roses bourbon and its global supply.
- Thorne Research, Inc. – Development, manufacturing and sales of the high-functional supplements and provision of the personal at-home testing service
With more than 31,000 employees and over 190 companies, Kirin Holdings Company, Limited is considered one of the Top 2000 Largest Public Companies in the World, according to Forbes.
*Information from Forbes.com, Wikipedia.org, and www.kirinholdings.com.
**Video published on YouTube by “キリンビール / KIRIN BEER“.