MAN Truck & Bus SE history, company profile (overview) and history video
MAN Truck & Bus SE is one of Europe’s largest commercial vehicle manufacturers. It is headquartered in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
The company’s product portfolio includes vans, trucks, buses, diesel and gas engines and a range of services relating to the transport of passengers and goods.
MAN Truck & Bus is a TRATON SE company.
MAN’s origins date back to 1840 when the entrepreneur Ludwig Sander together with engineer Jean Gaspard Dollfus founded the first direct predecessor company to MAN, the Sander’sche Maschinenfabrik (Sander’s Machine Shop).
In 1841, the Eisengießerei und Maschinenfabrik Klett & Comp was formed as a sister company in Nuremberg, but was renamed as Maschinenbau-Actiengesellschaft Nürnberg in 1873.
In 1898, the two companies in Augsburg and Nuremberg merged to form the Vereinigten Maschinenfabrik Augsburg und Maschinenbaugesellschaft Nürnberg A.G.
In 1908, the Vereinigten Maschinenfabrik Augsburg und Maschinenbaugesellschaft Nürnberg A.G. was branded as Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg AG, abbreviated to M.A.N.
MAN’s roots also extend back to an indirect predecessor company: the Eisenhütte St. Antony founded in 1758 in Oberhausen as the first company involved in heavy industry in the Ruhr.
In 1808, the Eisenhütte St. Antony merged with two other neighbouring ironworks to become Hüttengewerkschaft und Handlung Jacobi, Haniel & Huyssen. By 1873 that had transformed into the Gutehoffnungshütte, Aktienverein für Bergbau und Hüttenbetrieb, abbreviated to GHH.
In 1915, the production of commercial vehicles commenced in Lindau on Lake Constance.
In 1921, GHH took over majority control of the financially stricken Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg (M.A.N.). This merger guaranteed long term supplies of coal, iron and steel to Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg AG.
During the Second World War, the plants in Nuremberg were mainly focused on the production of tanks and also buses and trucks to be used as military vehicles.
After the end of the Second World War, GHH was broken up into three separate divisions, including the machinery and plant engineering division with its subsidiary M.A.N.
In 1971, MAN took over the Büssing company, and the Brunswick Lion made its way on to MAN’s product logo. MAN also entered into the production of lightweight truck models in cooperation with the French commercial vehicle manufacturer Saviem and later on together with Volkswagen.
In the mid 1980s, the GHH Group was redeveloped and restructured. Independent divisions were spun off in 1986, such as the commercial vehicle division, turbo and diesel division and the printing press division. This resulted in the GHH Group being reorganized under the name of its subsidiary MAN. The dots between the three company letters were dropped and the registered office was relocated from Oberhausen to Munich.
In 2000, MAN took over the premium touring bus brand NEOPLAN.
In 2020, the serial production of the all-electric Lion’s City E bus began.
*Information from Wikipedia.org and www.mantruckandbus.com.
**Video published on YouTube by “mantrucksandbuses“